Thursday, August 16, 2012

Live As You Believe


             "If you do not live as you believe, you will begin to believe as you live." -Fulton Sheen


I just got a goodbye card/letter from a friend who has put up with the absolute worst of my attitudes and actions over the past year. Especially the last couple of months, believing as I live has been an all too common occurrence. I convinced myself that I wasn't good enough to live out this faith like those I saw living out theirs. I gave in to a despair so real that I failed to remember there is a greater plan for me involving hope. I let the light fade away and was content with sitting in the dark. I was believing as I was living.

Well friends.....that doesn't go over well with God.

I believe very strongly in bringing others to Christ through actions-so strongly that sometimes I forget words are necessary, too. When 99.9% of the people I was surrounded with on a daily basis (especially this summer with all of my family home) claim to have a Catholic faith but live out something completely different, I started to believe the way that they are living. Faith is something not spoken of unless it's in a fight or a rude joke, so it must not really be worth the fight,right? Wrong. It's worth every fight we will ever have to endure. It was worth every drop of blood of God's only Son....it sure as heck is worth everything we've got. 

To bring others to Christ, we've got to give everything. That doesn't mean standing on a street corner preaching about God's unending love, and that doesn't mean living a life of faith without ever speaking a word. It means giving everything we are for what we believe. It means living out our faith through actions, and being comfortable enough in that faith to speak about it to others when necessary.

May you continually strive to live as you believe, and give your all for something greater. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment