Sunday, July 10, 2011

Extraordinary Influences

"Do not let mediocrity get you down! Be extraordinary. Most importantly, help others be the
same. You officially have the influence to do so."

This is some of the best and worst advice I've ever been given, all rolled into a few sentences. I LOVE the first three sentences-especially the third one. Fourth sentence...not a fan. Let me explain: This was part of a congratulatory email from an FFA friend of mine. I had been recently elected to the position of President for our district this coming year, and she had held that same office just last year.

These words are so true. We can't let "average" bring us down if we want to be something more. And let's face it-there is a lot of average in our lives. We have to put in the "extra" in order to truly be extraordinary. But more importantly than anything else, we have to help others cross over that barrier and become better than they thought possible. We can do this by leading through example. We can give a kind word, and a sincere smile. Or-better yet-we can be a believer, an encourager, and a friend.

Now to the part of this lovely advice I'm not in such grand agreement with: "You officially have the influence to do so. " What does that even mean?! I mean, sure I have the new jacket that says South Central District on the back instead of Arkansas City. I have a shiny new President's pin to wear to FFA events, and I have a few more opportunities to put in my vote on how the organization will run nexy year. But other than that, I'm still Ellen Walker. Putting on that jacket in no way changes who I am. I've always had the influence to make others be extraordinary-just like you do.

There is always someone who needs your influence, and who needs YOUR talents and abilities. You wouldn't have been given them otherwise. I mean, think about it: The people who make the most difference in our lives aren't the ones with the highest titles. They are the ones who sincerely take our interests to heart. They laugh at our jokes, smile at us when we're down, and maybe, just maybe, know what Sonic drink to bring us when it hasn't exactly been the best week. Most of us won't ever really get to know a movie star, a professional athlete, or the President. But all of us will get to know the people who have been placed in our lives. And we can make a difference in the lives of those people. By being placed onto this Earth, we've officially been given the influence to do so.

1 comment:

  1. Love! Ellen, you definitely have made a difference in my life! And I really love this post-its not about US; what we can get, what others can do for us--its all about how we can love and serve others!

    ReplyDelete