Sunday, October 30, 2011

Without Ceasing...The Sequel!

Oh boy, has it been a crazy couple of weeks! I've had a million little ups and downs myself, but more importantly I've witnessed a lot of those ups and downs with my peers. I've been there through (and sometimes joined in) the laughing, crying, jumping, screaming, confusion, hurting, chaos, and peace of those around me. I mean, I've always done this with those close to me, but I'm usually a pretty private person (I know, I know, shocking!). However, I've been realizing how much I've been missing. There has been so much going on in the lives of others around me, and I never even noticed, nor did I care. Thank you Lord, for opening my eyes.
The main thing I've been thinking about lately is hurt. This world is horribly, horribly broken. There are people everywhere who see their situation as hopeless. I'm pretty sure I've prayed harder and more fervently for others in the past two or three weeks than I ever have in my entire life. It's a beautiful thing, prayer is! But that's all I've been doing-praying. Not that praying isn't ridiculously amazing and powerful-because it is. But I've been saying rosaries, chaplets, and throwing in some other favorite prayers of mine here and there. I've been physically praying, but I haven't really been praying through my actions. One of my favorite verses is this one- I know I put it on my last blog, but I'd like to explain a but more. It's from 1 Thessalonians 5:17.
"Pray without ceasing."
Ceasing...as in stopping. So, never stopping? Right. No reason to lock ourselves in our house and do nothing but pray. There's no reason to cancel all our plans and avoid daily life so we can pray for this world. Prayer through action is a crazy powerful thing. Take the long way home so you can say a couple of extra prayers for the girl who's too scared to break up with her abusive boyfriend. Instead of pigging out on cookies or birthday cake you really don't need, eat some fruit or some yogurt for those kids down the street who don't know what to do because they really have no parents anymore. Joyfully bear the crosses of your daily life, so that those who have lost hope may begin to see the dawn breaking before them. We don't heal the brokenness of this world by hiding from it. We step out in faith, knowing that He has conquered the things of this world once, and He will do it again.
Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment