Sunday, September 4, 2011

Bearing our Crosses

I have had a crazy amount of time to do nothing this weekend. By that, I mean I've finally decided to be a semi-normal student by putting off all my homework until Monday of this three-day weekend. And to be honest with you, it feels kind of good :) I'm just not used to having free time...at all...ever. So this week has been quite a nice little break. I've been going to school and doing all the homework,etc-but most of our activities haven't gotten into full swing yet, and I've pretty much been picking up my little sister and doing whatever random little things my family needs me to after school. Yay for having time to think! Even so, I am beyond ready for all the craziness of life during the school year to start up again. This summer was EXACTLY what I needed, and I feel like I learned more about my faith and myself than I ever thought possible in that short time frame....Blessed be God :) In saying this, here is what I've come up with:
I am ready to be tested.
That's right.....that just happened. I-Ellen Walker, the biggest weenie on this planet-am ready to be tested. It's ok-I almost had a heart attack myself when the Holy Spirit placed this thought in my head ;) Who knew? (Well, God...as usual.) There are a TON of great scripture verses to go with being tested that I would love to share with you, but I can't get to my bible right now without disturbing lots of sleeping people. So I'll let you look those up, and this can be somewhat interactive ;) Anywho, point:
You never truly find out what you're made of until you're tested. Think about it: You can practice and practice defending your siblings on the basketball court in your driveway; but you never really know how you'll hold up in a game until you're put on your home court standing between your opponent and the state-qualifying shot. You can practice that speech a million times in front of the bathroom mirror, but presenting for the judges is a totally different story. It's easy to live our lives for Christ when everything seems to be going smoothly. But what happens when we're tested? Do we stay open to His light, even when everything around us seems to be enveloped in darkness?
We all have crosses to bear. They come at all different times, in all sorts of shapes and sizes. It's easy to carry the weight of the cross when we have lots of help, great conditions, and plenty of strength. Anyone can do that. What makes us who we are is what we do when the cross gets heavy, when we ache from loneliness, and when we have what feels like no strength left to fight the darkness. It truly is the tests that strengthen us beyond what we could ever imagine. It is in carrying these crosses that we share in the sufferings of Christ. We lose ourselves in the pain, and allow Him to guide us when we can go no further. Our lives, as well as the lives of those around us are forever changed because we allow ourselves to be a living sacrifice. Only in sharing in His suffering can we be led to the glory of new life. We must cling to the cross. It's our salvation.
May you cling to the cross with everything you are. Peace.

2 comments:

  1. That's a dangerous prayer, Miss Ellen. But know that He will not give you or bring you to anything you cannot handle, with the help of His grace. Thank you for sharing so much of you. God Bless, always.
    P.S. Two weeks to GC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Powerful...very true. Virtue must be put to practice, every day while being tested in our commitment and love for Him. Blessings and Peace!

    ReplyDelete