Saturday, November 12, 2011

Burying Talents

Random interactive blog moment: Get out your bible. Find Matthew chapter 25. Read verses 14-30....please :) Or, if you've gone to mass this weekend, think about the gospel. Ok, got it? Good. Let me let you in on a little (not-so-secret) secret:

My name is Ellen Walker, and I have a knack for burying my talents.

How appropriate that I heard this passage read tonight in mass, eh? Yeah...God has excellent timing. Because that's basically what I've been doing all year-burying my God-given talents and trying to trade them out for the ones I would choose.I have a contagious personality. Now, that contagiousness can be good or bad, depending on what day you ask. Whether it's a large group I'm working with, a small group at school, or just a few friends, my mood often becomes the mood of everyone else. It seems like I'm always the one who gets asked to give the welcome at events, speak during presentations, or plan what my friends and I will do next weekend. It's not that I don't enjoy doing all of these things-I do! But I don't always want to be in the spotlight. I don't always want to be the one in the front of the room addressing the crowd. Sometimes, I'd really like to serve behind the scenes, unseen. I enjoy sooooo much the opportunities where I've been able to do that. I want so bad to be a silent reflection of Love that sometimes I forget I've been given the ability to speak.

I get caught up in the mind frame of being bothersome. I try to figure things out on my own because I don't want to annoy others. I can turn a 10 minute task into a 45 minute one because I refuse to "bug" someone and ask for help. I end up canceling evenings in Wichita with friends (who may need me), because I simply don't want to ask to crash at their place.

God gave me a talent for people,and a personality that usually meshes well with others. Why waste that gift? I realize that I don't always have to be talking, but I need to say something. I need to be praying for those around me, but I also need to be present in their lives. I don't need to criticize, but I do need to hold others accountable for their actions. I don't have to be silent, but I must always be reflecting His Love.

We can't just ignore what we've been given-because whether we appreciate our gifts or not, we have them for a reason. We may crack a much-needed cheesy joke at just the right time, help someone by listening, or save a life by holding a friend accountable. Thank God for humor, willing ears, and bravery of heart. We don't (and will never) know why we've been given the gifts that we have. But you know what? That doesn't mean we shouldn't use them. If anything, it should make us want to use them more. Every moment brings with it an opportunity to reflect something greater than ourselves; to multiply our talents for the one who chose them, and to change hearts along the way.

Well,I didn't mean for this post to be this long, but sometimes my brain moves really fast-forgive me! :P Anywho....may you always remember to serve with everything you are and with the talents you've been given. Multiply them for that awesome guy who made us. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment