Monday, November 7, 2011

Imperfect Does Not Mean Worthless

Let me paint a mental picture of my current surroundings for you: I'm sitting here on my living room floor with a half-functioning laptop, tons of homework that needs to be done, a blanket that smells like dog, and a cup of cold hot chocolate. I'm staring out my window at the rain gushing out of our too-full gutters, and a gray cloudy sky of emptiness.
Let me paint you God's mental picture of my current surroundings:I'm sitting here in my favorite pair of sweats and FFA hoodie, contemplating/writing because I'm visiting KSU tomorrow,so I have no homework. I'm sitting on my favorite homemade rubber ducky blanket, and drinking my first cup of hot chocolate of the year. I'm looking out my window at the much-needed blessing of rain, and a sky full of wonder and beauty.
Little bit of a difference, eh? Just like the difference between what we see in ourselves and others, and what God sees in us all. Today, I got a nice little Holy-Spirit drop kick on the way to school when this popped into my brain:Imperfect does not mean worthless. Let me repeat that for you:
Imperfect does NOT mean worthless.
I am so sick of seeing those around me focus only on imperfections, and not true worth. "My mom won't stop nagging me!" "I'm not good enough to ever have a boyfriend/girlfriend." "I'm not pretty enough to wear that dress." "I'm not smart enough for that class." "There's nothing I can do." Really? REALLY?
I know it's hard-believe me I do. I struggle with true worth about as much as anyone else does. This world teaches us to strive for perfection...in the wrong areas. We're supposed to have the perfect body, the perfect date, the perfect job, and the perfect life. But what's that worth? If we achieve every single one of those things, we'll be worth a billion dollars. After death. Then, will it matter?
We have a God who loves us. He loves us enough to send His only son down to die for us, so that we might have a chance to live in the fullness of His Love forever. He loves us enough to send His Spirit down to guide us always. He loves us enough to give himself again every time the mass is said; to be on display 24 hours a day all over the world for us to go and spend time with the one who loves us most. He loved us enough to CREATE us!
If you were the most magnificent artist that ever walked this planet, would you make something useless with the clay you were given? Geez....you'd make something beautiful. Not perfect, but beautiful. You would make something to call your own. Something worthwhile.
Just as God sees beyond the dog smell of my blanket and the lack of heat in my cup of hot chocolate, he sees past our imperfections. He sees past our fear, doubt, frizzy hair, and smelly feet...and you know what? He sees WORTH. He sees a beautiful heart and a soul full of potential. We will never be perfect. We are human. But you know what? We're worth something. Every single detail of our heart,mind,body,and soul was carefully crafted with a Love beyond anything we could ever imagine.
IMPERFECT DOES NOT MEAN WORTHLESS.
May you continue to strive for perfection in the eyes of our Creator, and never stop letting Him Love you.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful reminder!! I love it. Thank you so much for your loving words. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete