Sunday, November 20, 2011

Without Words

Lately, it seems like I've been put into situations where I'm listening to others....a lot. I absolutely love that, because I tend to be a horrible person to talk with/give advice about anything more serious than the weather. And honestly, whatever I may be going through is usually nothing compared to those around me. So, I listen. Lately, the theme of many of these conversations has been hurt.

I'm trying my best to be His instrument through what I say in these conversations, but that's definitely something I'm still working on. I tend to listen quitely in the corner,my brain and heart running wild, and my mouth shut. This failing connection continually turns "You are a beautiful daughter of the King, and He created you with a greater purpose" into "It's gonna be fine." This lack of courage hasn't been helping those around me. I know that they need something more, and I've been trying to show them that. But I have been being reminded of something:

Words can only do so much-even if we have the courage to say everything that's on our hearts and in our minds. Sometimes (most times, in fact), they just aren't enough. Prayer is. Think about it: who could help heal us better than the one who created us? We don't know exactly what others need, but He does. There will be times when we just don't know what else to do for those around us. So we lift up our hearts to Him in prayer, crying out for our brothers and sisters who need Love. A simple text message that says "I'm praying for you," a few seconds of prayerful silence in the midst of a crazy day, or a small sacrifice can make a bigger difference than we may ever imagine.

We are all called to be His instrument, but beautiful music doesn't always require words.

1 comment: