Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Confession is the World's Best Windex!

The Christmas season seems to have snuck up on me more than ever this year. It was just September, and then...WHAM! It's Advent. What happened?! This year, I've actually been preparing spiritually for Christmas, instead of preparing materially (I've actually been horrible about buying family gifts on time!) And......it's wonderful :) I've been fairly busy lately with the random activities of life, as well as school up to 3:15 yesterday. Now, here in Ark City, America, we like to do things as far from normal as possible (and now you know why this is where I'm from...). This includes ending our semester in Mid-January. So....school up to the 20th of December without any finals or anything of the sort to give us closure on the semester. Instead, we just make sure there isn't a single ounce of sanity left in the building by the time that final bell rings! Oh man! I promise I don't mean to ramble, it's just been a really good day, and a long time since I've shared my thoughts on how wonderful life is ;)

I don't really understand our society's crazy obsession with things. I mean, I do have those few things that I really enjoy getting and/or use a lot of. But for the most part, it doesn't make sense to me. My mom is sooooo annoyed with the fact that I have no ideas of what I want for her to share with my extended family. I keep telling her all I can think of is Tangled, and a stocking full of fuzzy socks, lint rollers, and gum. She laughs every time, but I'm serious! I seem to have found a lot of comfort in having little lately. In a way, it means we have more to give.

Even on a non-spiritual level, Christmas still means more than presents. It means cooking and eating lots of homemade food, spending time with some friends and family we may not get to see very often, and sitting back and enjoying all we have. I was reminded of this last one a few days ago, when I helped out with an adopt-a-family project for our region CYM board. We spent the day shopping, getting to know each other better, driving/getting lost in Wichita looking for Sister, and just enjoying each others company. That evening we were able to go to the family's house, deliver the presents, and sing a few songs for them. It definitely was a "Woah, I'm so blessed!" moment. This Christmas, enjoy what you have, and take nothing for granted.

Deep breath and.....my brain may or may not stop spazzing soon. You should get a gold star if you make it to the end of this thing!

Last weekend, I went to mass on Saturday. I deliberately made up an excuse to be out of my house early and meet my family there, so I could go to confession beforehand. I hadn't gone in a long time, and I had not really been myself in a while, either. Normally I wouldn't think of going to confession as a way to feel more like myself, but that's really all I wanted to do this time, so I went. And along with the giddy joyfulness and peace that comes with a clean soul, I experienced something else. I felt whole again. More whole than I had felt in a really, really, really, really, really long time. It was beautiful :) We are here on Earth as mirrors of His Love, but sometimes we let that mirror get way too dirty. We stop reflecting His light, and show instead only darkness. With His forgiveness, we are made clean. Spotless. Shiny. A brilliant reflection of Love. Confession is the world's best windex! I recommend you participate in this wonderful sacrament the next time the chance is presented. Even if you're convinced you aren't broken, your heart may tell you otherwise once it's complete.

May you find the missing pieces of your heart lying in a manger this Christmas season. Grace to you, and peace!

1 comment: