Saturday, December 31, 2011

Ringing in 2012

Hmm....it's 2012. I've never really been one of those people who makes a big deal out of New Years Eve. I mean, don't get me wrong-I do enjoy certain parts of the holiday. I love that everyone seems to be so positive about life, and so excited about self-improvement. I guess what I've never really understood is why people think things like this only need to come around once a year. Our clocks strike midnight every 24 hours; it's not like we repeat the same day 365 times each year. Each day is a chance to start over, to make a difference, and to better ourselves. Each day brings with it the opportunity to live out our faith even more than the one before. So why wait for a whole new year?

It's 1:45 a.m on January 1st. What have I done with the night, you might ask? I spent it with my little sister. The new Just Dance game for the Wii, popcorn, and the must-have for all New Years Eve get-togethers...sparkling grape juice! I showed her up with my amazing (or not so amazing...) dance skills, listened to her crack jokes about everything that came on TV, and ate our favorite meal of popcorn and juice. It was an unusually quiet, simple, uneventful evening. But you know what? There's no place on this planet I would have rather been.

If I had to pick one word to describe everything I've learned this past year, or what I hope to do in the future, it would be:
Simplify

Such a small word that can be applied to just about everything in our lives. Simplify our budgets, so we don't worry so much about payments. Simplify our eating habits or our workouts, in order to stay healthier and feel better. Simplify our spiritual lives, so that our prayers become an ongoing conversation. Sometimes, less really is more. Tonight, I was reminded that I don't need crowds of people or fancy resolutions to be happy. I need to take life as it comes, strive to live out my faith more each day, and let the One who loves me most hold me always in His arms. Thank you Lord, for your daily reminders of Love.

May you have a peaceful, simple beginning to the year, taking life one day at a time. Grace to you, and peace!

1 comment: